Confectionary Taxation

Abstract: Proposal to couple with the sugared drinks levy to be introduced in 2018. 

Summary: Apply a social price to processed products having a high sugar content (such as chocolate, sweets, cakes, and ice cream).

Social price to be applied as an import duty (as the sugared drinks levy is proposed).

Why the contribution is important

Object: to apply a social price to a behaviour having disproportionate negative social externalities for the population of the Isle of Man.

Negative Social Externalities: Hospital admissions and on-going palliative treatment for chronic conditions (e.g. Type 2 Diabetes, liver disease, hypertension, gout, et cetera); and, lost productivity to the working economy due to increased sick days (and added complications).

We are living longer but becoming sicker. Statistics as at 2017 suggest obesity rates of 27% and overweight rates of 36% (total 63% of the adult population).  We are sitting on a cost timebomb.  How long does the Isle of Man taxpayer wish to hold-on to this bomb?

"Sugar, rum, and tobacco are commodities which are nowhere necessaries of life, which are become objects of almost universal consumption, and which are therefore extremely proper subjects of taxation" - Adam Smith, the Wealth of Nations

"Nature never deceives us, it is we who deceive ourselves" - Jean Jacque Rousseau, Emile

by ThePolity on May 12, 2017 at 10:29AM

Current Rating

0.0
Average score : 0.0
Based on : 0 votes

Comments

Log in or register to add comments and rate ideas