A and E charges for self inflicted injuries through drug and drink overuse

Individuals should be charged the private patient rate for injuries that are treated at A and E that are avoidable through self inflicted drug and drink intoxication.

This includes the cost of the ambulance, bed rate at hospital if required.

People will the realise what the cost of a night on the tiles really is !

Why the contribution is important

Protect staff - NHS and Police from violence. ( reduce sickness absence from injuries therfore cost saving)

"Real emergencies" could be dealt with quicker.

Free up resource - beds, clinicians so waiting times are reduced. ( cost savings from bed blockers who could have avoided being ill)

Reduce treatments - broken limbs , plaster casts etc

by Manneen on April 12, 2017 at 10:42AM

Current Rating

Average rating: 5.0
Based on: 3 votes


  • Posted by rosaliemscott April 12, 2017 at 14:03

    I totally agree
  • Posted by essjaydeeem April 12, 2017 at 15:08

    I'd counter this with "more effective health education, prevention and rehabilitation services"

    It's WAY cheaper to prevent a problem than fix it!

    Public Health and Primary Care health education is by far cheaper than the cost of a poor alcohol dependent mum with no support network or access to services.

    Not to go all "sociology" on you, but it is not always (if ever!) the individual's fault they have become dependent; society has failed them by not giving them other options or ways out... dontcha think ;)
  • Posted by OldSailor April 12, 2017 at 15:47

    Also who pays the cost of hospital care for those injured in vehicle crashes (both racing and non-racing related). Is it the taxpayer or is it the insurance underwriter? Is recovery of costs from insurers possible in the courts?
  • Posted by ninjadispenser April 16, 2017 at 13:54

    I think TT riders should have private health insurance for care in Noblea as their chances of being there are higher and take up valuable resources because of their 'extreme sport' .Car insurance doesn't cover the normal individual for any extreme sport such as rallying ,and your premium rises if you want to include it in your insurance,so what's the difference? Also there should be an 'entry charge" which goes toward recovery with emergency vehicles such as ambulance and helicopter rather than charity run.The competitors would probably agree to this charge as its for them.
  • Posted by ninjadispenser April 16, 2017 at 14:04

    Just to add,it is common knowledge that alcohol damages your health both long term and in the short term due to accidents/fights etc.Are we saying that people who get plastered regularly don't know this and need to be educated? Or is it that they don't care the trouble they give others and haven't had a good night out unless it ends in A and E where they make life hell for Doctors and nurses?
    Recognise that Pubs and Clubs are not nearly responsible enough for refusing entry and service to drunks and revoking of liquor licenses is NEVER in papers nowadays yet the Law requires bar staff to refuse service to anyone who appears to have 'had enough'.
    Put the responsibility where the problem is: with the people for their behaviour and the pubs who let them get too much alcohol just to make a profit.
    Oh,and reduce the opening hours. Whoever thought that prolonging the time to drink would reduce drunkeness was clearly under the influence themselves!
  • Posted by Joe1000 April 17, 2017 at 20:25

    I agree with charging private patients rates for drug and booze admissions
Log in or register to add comments and rate ideas